When I asked residents (70 of you) to tell me about the positive effects of tourism in Cambridge Bay, the following things were mentioned:
* Tourism generates income for the community (9 people said that).
* Tourism is beneficial to local carvers and tourism is helping rekindle the craft industry (12 people said that).
* tourism helps young people get out on the land to hunt and guide (7 residents said that).
* Other people said tourism makes use of local supplies and services (1 person), cruises bring in money to the community (1 person) and tourism provides non-local residents with a range of souvenirs to send home (1 person said that).
* Tourism is an opportunity to educate visitors and to dispel myths about living in the north (10 residents noted that).
* Tourism is a good way to meet new people (9 people said that).
* Sharing meat from sports hunts with Elders or community members in need was an important benefit of tourism (4 people said that).
* Tourism makes residents feel proud about their home (3 people said that).
* Tourism gives us an opportunity to participate in cultural shows and craft work (2 people said that).
In addition, 19 people recognized the general benefits of tourism but did not provide specific reasons as to why this was the case.
HAVE YOUR SAY.....! So most people talked about the economic and socio-cultural advantages that tourism brings to Cambridge Bay, do you agree with this? Would you add other advantages to this list? If you'd like to make a comment (even if its, yes I agree with what has already been said) please click on the comments button below.